- Cirencester friendly announces new KTP with UWE - 16/08/2010
Cirencester friendly, the leading income protection insurance provider, will be replacing its existing legacy IT systems with the support of a Knowledge Transfer Partnership (KTP) with the University of the West of England.
- UWE gives business a rocket-fuelled boost - 20/04/2010
World land speed record holder Richard Noble OBE will share the secrets of his success at the final of the University of the West of England's theBizIdea competition on Thursday 29 April.
- BizIdea winner in article on thisisbristol.co.uk - 05/03/2010
A ground-breaking new way of helping women in the developing world is being launched in Bristol. Vashti Richards set up Deki (www.deki.org.uk), as a mature student at the University of the West of England. It offers women small loans to become financially self-sufficient.
- BizIdea winner in Prospect Online article - 04/03/2010
Just how little improvement millions of dollars of aid actually brings to poor countries has vexed policymakers for decades. How can a country like Sierra Leone receive some £50m annually in British aid, yet its healthcare system be so bad that one in six of its mothers still dies in pregnancy or childbirth?
- Samples to be sniffed at for whiff of C diff - Scotsman article - 05/02/2010
A DEVICE that sniffs out stomach bugs by analysing the smell of patients' faeces could save the NHS millions. The OdoReader – developed by Chris Probert from the University of Bristol and Norman Ratcliffe from the University of the West of England – can rapidly diagnose Clostridium difficile, by "reading" the odour of stool samples.
- New device 'sniffs out' infections - Yahoo News article - 05/02/2010
The OdoReader - developed by Chris Probert from the University of Bristol and Norman Ratcliffe from the University of the West of England - can rapidly diagnose Clostridium difficile, by "reading" the odour of stool samples. Clostridium difficile may cause severe diarrhoea, especially amongst hospitalised patients.
- New device 'sniffs out' infections - Virgin Media article - 05/02/2010
A device which sniffs out stomach bugs by analysing the smell of patients' faeces could save the NHS millions, it has been revealed. The OdoReader - developed by Chris Probert from the University of Bristol and Norman Ratcliffe from the University of the West of England - can rapidly diagnose Clostridium difficile, by "reading" the odour of stool samples. Clostridium difficile may cause severe diarrhoea, especially amongst hospitalised patients.
- Sight-saving device wins Universities SW Enterprise Awards - 08/12/2009
A device that could improve treatment of an eye disease affecting 30 million people worldwide has won the first Universities South West Enterprise Award 2009 (USWEA).
- theBizIdea launch inspires new UWE entrepreneurs - 27/11/2009
The official launch of theBizIdea, the University of the West of England's annual business plan competition for students, staff and alumni, took place on Monday 23 November. A mixture of potential entrants, current sponsors and University staff attended the inspirational event, held at UWE's Frenchay Campus.
- Young Black Business event inspires enterprise - 17/11/2009
A groundbreaking business initiative for Bristol's young black entrepreneurs is being launched as part of Global Entrepreneurship Week. The African and Caribbean Young Enterprise (ACYE) organisation in Bristol, is co-founded by University of the West of England student Karl Belizaire. The free event is an opportunity for aspiring entrepreneurs to network and find out about business support, work experience and social networking.
- Funding, facilities and support for social entrepreneurs - 09/11/2009
Social entrepreneurs have a new opportunity to find out how to access funding aimed at supporting organisations that, like them, want to make a difference first and a profit second. A free session for people wanting to set up or develop a social enterprise will be held in central Bristol on 18 November.
- New centre of engineering in Croatia - Connecting Industry article - 23/10/2009
A new centre of excellence for engineering and robotics has been launched in a disadvantaged area of Croatia with help from the University of the West of England and the European Union.
- UWE discounts courses to build confidence for creatives - 21/10/2009
Creative enterprises and those who manage them have a new opportunity to develop their business despite the recession. The University of the West of England is teaming up with Emma Collins of Gallery Creative Business Consultancy, who has developed a series of dynamic, fun and useful workshops on topics such as building a brand, client relationships, and presentation skills.
- Helping Bristol family businesses flourish - thisisbristol.co.uk article - 09/10/2009
Bristol Business School, Veale Wasbrough and the International Centre for Families in Business (ICFiB) have launched the Bristol Family Business Forum, which is dedicated to helping family businesses flourish.
- Giving Bristol graduates a helping hand - 01/10/2009
Times are tough for Bristol's graduates. With a global recession at full tilt and UK unemployment the worst it's been since the late 1990s, the prospects may seem bleak for those leaving behind the protective bubble of higher education. But the University of the West of England has launched a scheme to keep that "bubble" around graduates for a short while as they try to find their feet in the big wide world.
- UWE's recession beating service helps disabled people - 21/09/2009
Mother of two Julie Owen has started a new company providing activity breaks for people with special needs based in UWE Ventures Bristol, the University of the West of England's business incubation centre on Bristol's Harbourside.
- Athlete in Bristol to talk up London 2012 Olympics - Evening Post article - 12/09/2009
Olympic triple jumper Jonathan Edwards visited Bristol to celebrate the opportunities the London 2012 Olympics will bring to the area. Alongside circus acrobats, politicians and representatives from universities, Mr Edwards spoke at an event in the new foyer of the Colston Hall yesterday.
- Minister visits Bristol to hear about beating recession - Evening Post article - 10/09/2009
Employment Minister Jim Knight visited Bristol to find out about a new three-day course to help white-collar workers who lose their jobs because of the recession. The courses are run by universities at Bush House in Prince Street and funded by JobCentre Plus.
- Employment Minister visits Bristol scheme delivered by UWE - 09/09/2009
Employment and South West Regional Minister Jim Knight will visit University of the West of England premises at Bush House (Arnolfini, Bristol) on Wednesday 9 September at 14.20. Recently the first three day course of a new Jobcentre Plus scheme was delivered at Bush House with the aim of helping professional and executives recently made redundant.
- UWE city-centre incubator helps hatch Bristol Festival - 08/09/2009
Now in its second year, the Bristol Festival which takes place on 18, 19 and 20 September has its command centre in the enterprise incubator run by the University of the West of England
- Geek Pop Science and music festival calls for artists - 18/08/2009
Organisers at Geek Pop are sending out a call for artists for their third annual festival of music and science. The festival is a celebration of science-inspired music and geek culture, featuring artists from around the globe.
- Redundant professionals helped back on track - 24/06/2009
Recently redundant professionals have spoken highly of a joint initiative by the University of the West of England and Jobcentre Plus in Bristol to help people during the recession. Funded by Jobcentre Plus and delivered by UWE's Career Development Unit, the first workshop was held at the University earlier this month.
- UWE in partnership to improve GP training in SW - 24/06/2009
The University of the West of England is part of a new move to ensure that GP training reaches the highest standards. The two-year project with Severn Deanery, responsible for NHS training in the South West of England, is currently seeking to recruit a Project Leader to start work in the summer under the government-supported Knowledge Transfer Partnership (KTP) programme.
- Enterprise winners to share vision with budding tycoons - 29/04/2009
Jamie Murray-Wells, founder and Executive Chairman of Glasses Direct, is special guest speaker at this year's final of the University of the West of England competition for budding entrepreneurs.
- UWE graduate brings ethical water home - 27/04/2009
UWE Fine Arts graduate Katie Alcott set up the charity FRANK Water http://www.FrankWaterProjects.org in 2005 to supply water purification projects in some of the world's neediest places. Now the University of the West of England, local water supplier Glastonbury Spring Water and FRANK Water have come together to form a unique partnership.
- UWE alumnus receives Queens' Award for Enterprise - 22/04/2009
UWE graduate James Murray Wells, aged 26, is the youngest person ever to be named on the Queen's Birthday list of Awards for Enterprise. Recommended to the Queen by Prime Minister Gordon Brown for his services to enterprise, Jamie Murray Wells has been awarded The Queen's Award for Enterprise Promotion (QAEP) – the UK's most prestigious award.
- Queen's Awards Recognition for UWE Alumnus - Times Online article - 21/04/2009
Jamie Murray Wells, who fought a David and Goliath battle with Britain's three biggest spectacle makers with his Glasses Direct, will be named today as the youngest recipient of a Queen's Award for Enterprise.
- New Loan Fund For South West Businesses - 14/04/2009
As part of the drive for economic recovery, the South West Regional Development Agency (RDA) has announced the launch of a new £10m South West Loans Fund which is now available to help growth-oriented business with viable business plans.
- BBC Online - Job seekers get help in £1m plan - 09/04/2009
Highly-skilled job seekers in Bristol and Swindon are to receive support to find work as part of a £1m scheme. Run by the University of the West of England (UWE), the scheme will help with retraining and skills development.
- There's still time to win £5000 - enter theBizIdea Competition! - 01/04/2009
- UWE launches new space for start-up businesses - 23/02/2009
- Research Professional launch, Monday 2 March 2009 - 16/02/2009
Research, Business and Innovation is pleased to announce the forthcoming UWE launch of Research Professional, the new research funding and news service from Research Fortnight, on Monday 2 March.
- New RELAYS Sports Business Fellow Announced - 02/02/2009
- UWE graduate and placement student launch Foliomatch - 26/01/2009
- New enterprise manager for UWE's Ideas Factory - 20/11/2008
- SWRDA - More support for South West businesses - 12/11/2008
- Computer experts assist at CERN's Large Hadron Collider - 21/10/2008
- UWE's enterprise competition opens for business - 21/10/2008
- UWE Bristol invests in new enterprise campus - 17/10/2008
- Teaching creativity to the next generation of entrepreneurs is not as wacky as it sounds - 10/10/2008
- Meet the leaders of industry at UWE - 08/10/2008
- 15/04/08 UWE Successfully Launches New Enterprise Club - 16/04/2008
UWE has successfully launched a New Enterprise Club to support anyone wishing to set-up their own business enterprise.
- UWE is part of the Science City equation - 14/03/2008
The University of the West of England has joined with other local scientific organisations to celebrate Bristol's status as a Science City with a range of events, lectures and demonstrations.
- UWE's Flux2008 team wins the South West regional finals - 04/03/2008
The University of the West of England's Flux2008 team has won the South West regional finals held at Bath University. They now go through to the National Finals to be held on 17th-18th March.
- theBizIdea Competition 2007/08 Newsletter Issue 4 - 13/02/2008
- theBizIdea Competition 2007/08 Newsletter Issue 3 - 28/01/2008
- Trade in the Mall for FREE! - 21/01/2008
If you've always dreamed of being your own boss in retail, and have a great idea, here's an offer you shouldn't miss.
This month The Mall is creating a unique opportunity for anyone taking their first steps in retailing. We're offering you the opportunity to trade from one of our Retail Merchandising Units FREE for SIX MONTHS.
- UWE graduate launches new internet Parcel Pickup service - 12/12/2007
theBizIdea Competition finalist 2006/07 Edward Fraser launches his business.
- UWE scoops Enterprise Awards - 07/12/2007
UWE graduate Tom Bennett, Nic Smith and student Gemma Boyce win at the Knowledge West Enterprise Awards.
- Flying start for theBizIdea Competition 2008 UWE - 13/11/2007
theBizIdea Competition at the University of the West of England got off to a flying start this year.
- Success is sweet for winner of top Prince’s Trust Award - 07/11/2007
- Telephone coaching idea wins Community Champion award - 07/11/2007
- UWE back Bristol’s first ever Design Festival - 07/11/2007
- UWE design graduate shows speed cameras in new light - 17/04/2007